August 1993 - Al Kantoui to Mar Menor - Page 3

21 August 1993 Cala Teulera to Islas Colom
We called into the Club Maritimo, but the letter from Ceris still hasn’t arrived. We decided to go to Islas Colom for some swimming. We anchored on the south side of the island, did a lot of swimming and then took the dinghy across the bay to do some snorkelling. At six o’clock in the evening, the wind was SE10, so we decided to go around to the west side of the island, which is lovely.

22 August 1993 Islas Colom
We decided to stay here for the day. We were anchored in 7 metres of crystal clear water and I was immersed in paperwork until four o’clock sorting out our mail and associated problems. Brett did school work and then we all swam and enjoyed ourselves. The weather forecast is for strong winds from the SW, so we expect to stay in Menorca for a few days.

23 August 1993 Islas Colom to Cala Teulera
The weather forecast says that there’s a low over North Balearics giving SW in Alboran and variable over the rest of the Mediterranean, so we decided to go back to Mahon, get fuel, shopping and use the phone before to going towards Mallorca tomorrow. When we arrived at Mahon there was a huge oil tanker blocking the fuelling station. We have been told that hopefully it will go this evening, so we will try again tomorrow.

Ceris’ letter arrived and we sorted out everything we needed to. I bought another fishing lure and trace for £15 to try to improve my chances of catching something. We went to a small beach in Cala Teulera and windsurfed, etc. We had to fill another form and pay again but they gave us another gin gift set!

It’s very pleasant to sit at the cockpit table after dinner while the daylight slowly fades. We are swinging on the anchor, the children are playing in the back cabin (all we can hear is the chink, chink of Lego) and we slowly sip our glasses of wine.

24 August 1993 Cala Teulera to Cala Degollador
Got up fairly early this morning to go and get fuel. The tanker had gone, but there was a queue of 5 boats there, so it took us 40 minutes to get the fuel. We had a nice sail up the coast. We headed toward Cuidadela looking for a Cala to anchor in.

All of the Calas on the south coast had the swell shooting straight in, so we headed up the west coast to Cala Degollador which is just before Cuidadela. It is a very narrow Cala, so we had to drop the anchor in the middle of the cala and take lines ashore from the stern. It was a bit of a rock climbing exercise, but I managed OK. It’s the first time that we have moored like this.

Before we went to bed I said to Glenys that we only had 13 metres of chain out in 4.5 metres of water and I wouldn’t swing to an anchor with so little. I hoped that it would be alright. I’m coming down with a cold and my throat hurts - I think that I’ve caught it from Craig.

25 August 1993 Cala Degollador to Bahia de Pollensa
It wasn’t alright! At five o’clock in the morning, we were woken by Glencora bashing into the rock face behind us. The anchor had obviously dragged, so we threw the aft mooring lines into the water and motored away. We pulled up the anchor and then hovered about in the dark wondering what to do.

The Cala is only about 50 metres wide and our prop wash caused a French boat’s anchor to drag a bit too! We decided to go to Cuidadela and managed to leave the Cala safely by using our search light.

Once we had rafted up on the town quay, I jogged back to the Cala to retrieve the ropes. One of the ropes had disappeared into the water, so I put that down to experience. We escaped with no damage apart from the top broken off the flag pole!

We had an uneventful sail to Mallorca. There was an easterly swell coming into the Bahia De Pollensa and we spent about an hour looking for a suitable anchorage. We eventually anchored west of PTA De La Avanzada in about 3 metres depth.

26 August 1993 Bahia de Pollensa
My cold is a lot better today, the anchor didn’t drag last night and life seems brighter – which is more than one can say for the weather. It’s actually raining for the first time for months. I spent the day doing administration again, so that we will have things delivered to Carol’s house ready for Glenys to pick them up when she goes back to the UK in a few weeks time. We received a letter from Gareth saying that they will probably be in the Grenadines in December, so we will make either Grenada or St Lucia our port of entry into the Caribbean.

27 August 1993 Bahia de Pollensa to Porto Cristo
We had a nice downwind run for the first three hours with a NW wind. However, when we rounded Cabo De Pera, the wind dropped to nothing and the sea was very confused. We motored for a while and then hit a SW20 on the nose. We had an unpleasant bash to windward under engine for about two hours. We arrived in Porto Cristo and got charged £18 – we will leave tomorrow!

We berthed next to Don and Liz Adams on “Wild Rover” with their two children Samantha and Natalie who unfortunately are going back to the UK tonight. They are booked into the ARC Rally, but are very disillusioned and may not go. Brett and Craig went onto “Wild Rover” and watched their TV and video, they want one too! Brett and Craig haven’t been on dry land for 4 days and we had to persuade them to go to a playground 100 metres away! We went out for dinner.

28 August 1993 Porto Christo to Porto Petro
I couldn’t get a decent weather forecast. There seem to be strong winds in Lyon and Provence, but looks OK here. We decided to sail, have a look and if it gets bad then call in to Porto Petro.

We went into Porto Petro which is very pretty. All of us have sniffly colds now, so we just sat around reading and playing. The anchorage got very crowded in the late afternoon. I put the last of a litre bottle of oil in the engine - we’ve used 1 litre of oil in 52.5 hours motoring.

29 August 1993 Porto Petro to Islas Espalmador, Ibiza (Day 1)
Rough night with swell rocking us about. We went into town but nothing much there. I went windsurfing, but gave up after an hour because the wind was coming over houses into the Cala causing violent wind shifts and downdrafts.

I hate planning to leave somewhere in the late afternoon because I have loads of time to get apprehensive about the journey. It kind of spoils the whole day. It’s blowing 10-20 knots in the anchorage and I don’t know what it’s doing out there. I’ve looked at the sea through binoculars (several times!) and I can see white caps. Oh worry, worry!

We left at six o’clock in the evening, poled out the jib and had a wonderful downwind run. When we got to Cabo De Salinas, we poled out the second jib and rolled downhill under a bright full moon.

30 August 1993 Porto Petro to Islas Espalmador, Ibiza (Day 2)
I got up at midnight, dropped the mizzen to help the Hydrovane and started to read a book. At one o’clock, I looked up and it took me a few seconds to realise where I was. The scene seemed very surreal with nothing in sight except the moon, stars, sea and the two jibs goose winged out. Fantastic - sometimes I love sailing!

At seven in the morning, we were approaching Santa Eulalia, but since we had only used 1 litre of fuel, we decided to press on to Islas Espalmador. The anchorage has about 20 boats and several day tripper boats – a far cry from the quiet anchorage back in June. We went to the beach with the windsurfer – good place for windsurfing.

Quite a few people were going to a lake just behind the beach and coming back smeared all over with mud. I remember Margaret from “Bonnie Day” asking the Tourist Office about the “therapeutic mud” and being told that the control of sewage on the island isn’t very good!

I talked to a couple on “Red Angelina” who have a Hydrovane and are pleased with it – what am I doing wrong? “Red Angelina” is going to the Caribbean as well – there will be thousands of people there!

31 August 1993 Islas Espalmador to Mar Menor, Spain (Day 1)
We had a great night’s sleep. We just passed out after all the windsurfing and the night passage. We left the anchorage at ten o’clock and started off motoring for a while to charge the batteries. The wind was 45° abaft the beam, so we put up main, mizzen and poled out the Genoa. I put a block on the end of the pole to lead the sheet and put downhauls to fix the pole in position. This works really well since we can roll away the genoa (or part of it) without any acrobatics.

As night fell, I ran the engine for about a hour to charge the batteries – I’ve been using the autopilot because the Hydrovane was struggling and I was too lazy to change the sail plan.