July 1995 - Bequia to Grenada

1 July 1995 Admiralty Bay to Mustique
Another month gone. We did school work in the morning and then sailed and motored across to Mustique. I’ve just rigged up a lure on the fishing rod because I’ve lost a few lures on my fixed line/bungy rig. We’ve not caught a fish for months. I lost another lure today because I think that I had the clutch too tight – I’m really hacked off!

Glenys and I went for a snorkel while the boys went over to “Rose of Wight” to pick up Harry. We ended up on “Colleen” having a beer or four because it’s Mike’s birthday. We met Joe and Margaret of “Night Music” (GB). They were in Porto Santo for the storm of ’93, so there was a lot of reminiscing.

2 July 1995 Mustique
School work in the morning. “Night Music” asked Glenys if she could make some new covers for their horseshoe buoys, so she spent most of the afternoon sewing. I had another go at the bloody bilge pump, but I couldn’t get it working properly – I’ve given up and I’m going to spend £110 on a new one when we get back to Bequia.

I’m still persevering with learning scales on the clarinet – a new one each day. Brett and Craig spent the day playing with Harry. I filled 3 tanks. We had a quiet and rolly evening, as usual in Mustique.

3 July 1995 Mustique to Little Bay, Canouan
We rolled all night and I’m sick of it. We decided to skip school work and go to Canouan. Glenys used “Night Music’s” SSB radio and managed to talk to Gareth. He’s in St Vincent and will meet us in the Tobago Cays on the 5th or 6th.

We started off with a horrid, floppy, downwind sail, so we motored most of the way. We hooked a fish, but he got off as I was reeling him in. I think I need to service the reel and sharpen the hook – at least I didn’t lose my last lure!

We anchored in Little Bay and went for a dive. I started Glenys’ Rescue Diver theory. Just as we finished, it blew a hooley. Our anchor was well dug in, but we were being blown with our transom towards the beach – a lee shore (Oh my God). There was no-one else in the anchorage so there would be no lights for reference at night - so we moved to the main bay and picked up an empty mooring buoy in front of the hotel, which is now finished and very nice it looks too!

4 July 1995 Little Bay to Tobago Cays
We had very strong winds last night. I got up at midnight and put an extra rope through the mooring pennant. I couldn’t get to sleep because of worrying about the rope parting. I would have felt more secure being at anchor. At least if an anchor drags it is fairly slow; if the rope on a mooring breaks, we would go downwind at 5 knots and probably wouldn’t know about it until we hit something. I managed to nod off but was woken up again at half past two by 40 knot gusts and torrential rain. Glenys and I got up and took down the awning, which was flogging itself to bits. We survived the night.

School work in the morning. We had lunch and then motored round to South Glossy Bay, where Glenys and I did a dive. We then motored to the Tobago Cays which was surprisingly crowded. Roger and Pat from “Rawa” came for a beer and ended up staying to dinner. It’s Independence Day and some bloody Americans in a catamaran upwind from us kept letting off distress flares which were landing all around us. It wasn’t worth the hassle of complaining, so I got a bucket of water ready to put out the fire. Fortunately, the idiots soon ran out of flares.

5 July 1995 Tobago Cays
I slept like a log - this is such a fantastic anchorage. We did school work in the morning. I’m getting Craig to gradually write a book called “Fred the Frog” – he writes a few sentences on a new page each day and then draws a picture. He enjoys it and it’s teaching him to be neat. I’m afraid that I’ve got another personality conflict with Brett – I can’t stop myself criticising him. I’m going to have to get Glenys to tell him off for me.

It was fairly windy in the morning, so I got the windsurfer out. Of course the wind dropped to 10-15 knots as soon as I stood on the board. I had a pleasant, if frustrating afternoon reaching back and forth. I filled 4 tanks. “Dabulamanzi” arrived and typically, Gareth came over with a bottle of champagne to say hello. He told us all about Fi’s marathon, 14 hour delivery of their daughter. Gareth said that she’s called Molly, but then said that’s what he calls her – so her name might be something else!

He’ll be dropping his guests off in Mustique on the 16th and will meet us in Bequia before sailing off to Antigua, where he’ll leave the boat for a few months. He still expects to be chartering next year with a hired cook – Fi and Molly will live in Bequia, but (obviously) that could change.

6 July 1995 Tobago Cays
School work in the morning. After lunch, Glenys and I went for a dive with Joe from “Night Music”. I filled 3 tanks. I made a conch shell horn by cutting off the end off with a hacksaw. I’ve been wanting to make one for ages, but the ones that the fishermen leave in piles have all got holes in them. The fishermen make this hole with the back of a machette to break the vacuum allowing them to pull out the “lambi” with a wire hook. I finally found a complete empty shell on a dive a few days ago.

I managed to grab 20 minutes clarinet practice before Gareth came over for a beer. After that it was over to “Rose of Wight” for drinks.

7 July 1995 Tobago Cays
I did a Discover Scuba and an escorted dive with two Brits, John and William, from a Moorings boat. There was a wicked current outside the boat channel and John (the Discover Scuba guy) used his air up within 20 minutes. I filled 4 tanks.

We all went to Jamesby Island to have a look around. We climbed up to the top where there is a fabulous view of the Tobago Cays and surrounding reefs – I love the colour of the water. We went to “Mistral” for a drink – Brett and Ben seemed to get on together.

There is a tropical wave at 27°W which is being described as “strong”. These waves move at 5° of longitude per day so it should be here by the 13th. I hope that it doesn’t develop into anything. We will wait until the 10th before taking any action. The old mariner’s poem seems to be bang on:

June, Too soon.
July, Stand by!
August, Look out you must.
September, Remember.
October, All over.

Craig’s teeth continue to worry me. His front top tooth is still coming through behind his dead one and the dead one shows no sign of coming out yet. His back RH top molar is again a huge cavity because the filling put in in Antigua has fallen out. Teeth are definitely our biggest medical problem!

8 July 1995 Tobago Cays to Saline Bay, Mayreau
Wonderfully breezy night – I felt cool even with a sheet over me (bliss!) At bedtime, Brett complained that he was cold so he put some pyjamas on. He still complained that he was cold and wanted a blanket. I thought he was just messing us about so I called him a wimp. Glenys gave him a blanket and he spent all night wrapped up in it – what a rotten Dad!

The strong tropical wave is now at 32°W, no change. We motored over to Union Island and Glenys did some shopping. The boys and I went to look at the shark pool, which is interesting. I did a navigation lesson with Brett and he got us to Mayreau OK - I’ll have to do more with him.

We then anchored in Saline Bay next to “Rose of Wight”. I had to laugh at Harry and Laurel running up and down their deck shouting “Glencora’s here! Glencora’s here!” I finally found the location of the wreck of the Purina, a World War 1 Gunboat that hit the reef one night going to intercept a ship. Glenys and I went for a dive on it with Joe from “Night Music” – nice dive! We had a quiet night in for a change!

9 July 1995 Saline Bay, Mayreau
The strong tropical wave is now reported at 41°W with a low at 11°N 41°W (we are at 13°N 60°W). We have decided not to go back up to Bequia, but will go and clear out of Union tomorrow, so that we can go to Tyrell Bay to meet Gareth there (and sit out any crappy weather). If the low develops any further we will sail down to Grenada. We did school work in the morning. Glenys did some more upholstery in the afternoon while I played the clarinet and snorkelled.

10 July 1995 Saline Bay to Tyrell Bay, Carriacou
The strong wave is now at 47°W and the low is at 13°N 47°W which is good news because if it develops into anything it will probably track north (we are at 12°30’N). We sailed to Union Island, cleared out, then went into the Anchorage Yacht Club and filled up with water. We then sailed to Sandy Island where Glenys and I did a dive, before motoring around to Tyrell Bay.

I love Tyrell Bay. In my humble opinion, it is probably one of the most secure anchorages in the West Indies. We can also buy reasonably priced alcohol from the enterprising locals. I bought some beer at normal prices ($43EC/case compared to $55EC/case in Bequia). Dan from “White Bean” came for a beer.